Monday, January 16, 2012

Perfect Reading Weather

What do you do when it's -12? Read of course!  The more books the merrier, Mother Nature has been providing the perfect excuse to huddle on my couch with a warm blanket, dark chocolate cocoa, and a big stack of books.  Ahhhh winter.

Ghost Memoir by Lady Nairna was a great little book.  My thanks to Rich Fahle for asking if I'd be interested in reviewing it.  Ghosts and Scotland, how could you go wrong? Of course I'll read it.  A memoir, yes, you hear Lady Nairna's story as well as several of her friends but it's also the tale of simply trying to get a book written. I'm still prone to giggling snorts over the ghost hunting! The ending left me...melancholy...in a good way. Here is the review I posted:

From the moment I first read a description of this little book I had a case of the giggles. Much of the book kept me in that same state. You can't help getting a case of wistful "what if?" syndrome while reading. What if I met Lady Nairna? What if ghosts decided I was worth talking to? Turning the final page I was sad, satisfied, hopeful,and broken hearted.
I hope Lady Nairna finds ways to share more of herself and her friends.
 
Child of the Mist by Kathleen Morgan This book was an interesting experience for me. Generally I find myself disappointed with "Christian" fiction. This author did a wonderful job of pulling me in and via her characters posing great questions about how to best follow the Lord in circumstances that mean doing so could cost your life. Or worse that of another. Read it cover to cover without a break and will definitely be seeking out other books in the series.
 
The Girl that Love Forgot by Jennie Lucas I don't often dip back into the short Harlequin romance books any more but this one caught my eye and I couldn't resist. There were moments when stereotypes annoyed me but overall the story of Annabelle and Stefano made for a wonderful read. If you are in the mood for a little brain candy this one is a bit like taffy with nuts in it...you're going to have to work at it but the calories are worth it. Will be interesting to see what else comes from this author.
 
The Ugly Duckling Debutante by Rachel Van Dyken No matter what your thoughts of romance novels, especially historical ones (I usually avoid them like the plague.)you should take the time to read this one. Rachel Van Dyken's characters are all fabulously flawed and struggling to grow.  The interplay between them is well written and immediately pulls the reader in. Watching them grow over the course of the book was delightful.
 
Wedding Survivor by Julia London This is one of those books you almost hate to admit you read...much less that you liked it.  Every bit of it was bury your face in your hands, laugh until you snort funny.  I read it twice in a row and have no doubt that the next time I'm in dire need of a laugh I will be opening it again. From the book club meetings without books to the $20K wedding gown stuck in a tree the story doesn't disappoint. "Survivor" is exactly right for this wedding.

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder   As always Maria V. Snyder's latest does not disappoint.  I found the main character's constant struggle to not use the gifts she was born with thought provoking and the politics well written.  One character was truly offensive to me and I found myself mentally yelling at the author for including him...I'm sure you'll be able to guess who he is as you read...  Overall I loved the book and cant wait to see where the story goes next.

Now it's back to more serious reading Joe Dispenza's "Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself" is a fascinating look at quantum physics, modern neuroscience, and self improvement. I'm loving it so far.  Will have a review for you next week, stay tuned.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment